At the start of the MX helmet project, Alpinestars' product philosophy was applied and a number of specific goals were set:
- Create the most advanced, protective and best performing helmet possible.
- Primary goal: protection - to create the best performing protection possible.
- Secondary objective: to give excellent ventilation, comfort and low weight.
Alpinestars' approach to creating the advanced technology in the Supertech M8 draws on its deep experience from over half a decade of world-class innovation across the motorsport spectrum and, in particular, its deep-rooted commitment to motocross.As with all other categories of technology that Alpinestars has mastered, bringing a highly complex new product to fruition requires specialist experience and know-how and a design plan driven by the best brains in protection development.
Then the Alpinestars helmet development department was created and given the task of researching and developing the most protective and comfortable motocross helmet possible. The goal was to enable riders to push the limits of performance, benefiting from confidence-inspiring safety technology, reduced weight distribution to minimize muscle strain in the neck, shoulders and back, and improved physiological and cognitive performance with an extremely well-fitting and well-ventilated construction, optimizing comfort while driving.
The design is consistent with Alpinestars philosophy and shares distinctive themes with other products in the portfolio; a smooth, attractive, streamlined profile with no external channels and features that could act as a load point in the event of an impact or compromise the overall integrity of the construction. The surface curvature helps reduce friction on impact, allowing for more efficient deflection and energy transfer to protect the rider's head from force directed to the skull and referred to the neck and spine. The opening is designed to accommodate a wide variety of goggles and the vents in the shell are positioned to maximize ventilation efficiency.
The S-M8 shell has been profiled with performance as a priority and with a design style that identifies the profile of the helmet and its sculpted surface as uniquely "Alpinestars".
Another key feature is the S-M8 shell sizing solution; each helmet fit size has its own appropriate shell size to provide the most anatomical solution to the wide variety of fit needs around the world.
Safety: Supertech M8 construction.
- The shell construction uses highly advanced molding technology with a multi-composite combination: unidirectional carbon composite with an aramid layer that gives significant radial resistance around the hull, preventing compression but allowing for controlled deflection to reduce energy d impact transmitted and providing protection from critical penetration.
- This combination of layers achieves even greater performance with an epoxy resin bond that offers the best possible strength and energy management; limited deflection of the outer shell means that the energy spreads wider and is better absorbed by the EPS liner.
- The result of the unique shell coating process employed in the S-M8 construction results in extremely effective impact protection. With a fully equipped helmet test facility, within the Alpinestars Racing Development Center, a comprehensive impact research program has resulted in the Supertech M8 returning linear and oblique impact performance that far improves upon current standard limits. helmet adjustment. By direct, linear impact of an average magnitude of 41% and by rotational, oblique acceleration, impact performance of an average of 48%.
S-M8 in four anatomic shell sizes.
- The Supertech M8 shell construction is optimized to offer the best fit across the range of four size options. The shell sizes are produced in small, medium, large and extra-large to ensure that riders have the correct fit which not only improves comfort but, above all, the effectiveness of the helmet in the event of an impact.
The Supertech M8 liner construction combines with the shell to offer highly efficient impact energy management.
- Formed with a multi-density EPS polymer, the energy-absorbing layer gives an internal helmet profile that absorbs the impact forces dissipated on the outer shell at the point of impact and provides a shape that offers a snug and comfortable fit.
- The energy absorbing performance of the S-M8 is substantially enhanced by a four-section construction that allows you to prepare specific polymer densities for different zones around the helmet liner. Not only are energy performance improved, but also fit and comfort.
Patented A-Head height and angle adjustment system.
- The Supertech M8 incorporates a patented system that allows the helmet to be tailored exactly to the rider's preferences for the height and angle at which the helmet sits on the head. This unique technology allows for an ultra-specific set-up that can be adapted to the type of riding and the rider's preferences.
- With a micro-adjustable pad that is connected to the helmet inner shell, you can raise or lower the helmet fit and also, tilt the helmet forward or backward.
A unique and patented visor release system is another key attribute incorporated into the Supertech M8 design.
- The release of the visor is a key part of the overall protective performance of the helmet and has a great influence on the distinctive, flush design of the outer shell profile.
- Alpinestars has developed a unique visor release system which, while ensuring the mount is held securely in place for riding on the most extreme terrain and in any track conditions, provides exactly the right level of resistance to ensure the visor detaches. from the helmet shell if it is subject to a significant impact, regardless of the angle.
- The S-M8 visor release mechanism is designed to avoid inherent weaknesses in other types of anchoring systems.Maintaining shell integrity is vital to safety and with the possibility of multidirectional forces impacting the visor, separation at the critical point of load reduces potentially damaging leverage and rotational accelerations that refer to neck and spine injuries of the pilot.
Collarbone protection is an important feature of the Supertech M8 helmet shell base profile design.
- The base of the S-M8 has been sculpted to give a raised section, where the lower profile is raised to free the collarbone (clavicle).Also, embedded in the base pad area, where it sits above the rider's collarbone, it is an energy absorbing pad; a more flexible compound rubber section that allows for deflection when it comes into contact with the collarbone.
- The Supertech M8 chin guard is made of polypropylene which, by allowing a certain degree of lateral deflection, further improves impact protection for the collarbones.
- Post-crash protection mechanisms are also a key feature of the Supertech M8 design, allowing for quick and safe intervention if the rider has suffered a major impact.
Multi-directional impact protection system: MIPS.
- MIPS is incorporated into the Supertech M8 to reduce rotational motion energies impacting the helmet causing harmful rotational force to be transmitted to the brain.
- A low-friction 'slip' layer is incorporated into the Supertech M8 helmet, between the comfort padding layer and the energy-absorbing multi-density polymer shell. When energy is impacted on the helmet, causing a rotational force, the MIPS layer allows movement of the inner absorption layer to dampen and redirect the energy before causing significant acceleration stress to the brain. This mitigates the causes of brain injuries, such as concussions.
Emergency Release System (ERS).
- The side cheek padding of the S-M8 can be pulled out efficiently and safely, while the helmet is still on the rider's head, to allow for easy removal by trackside support and medical personnel.
The Supertech M8 is also designed to allow the insertion of an "Eject" inflation system of the helmet in the inner crown of the shell.
- Together with the removal of the ERS padding, 'Eject' allows for emergency removal of the helmet, without loading the rider's spine.
- Chinstrap: wider than the certification requirement: 26mm for comfort and manufactured with a polyester yarn woven to give a soft "hand" feel that connects securely with a double D-ring.
Weight: Reduced by design while allowing the Supertech M8 protection to be class-leading.
- Weight is both a factor in riding performance and safety in a helmet and to ensure that the S-M8 offers the ultimate in weight saving performance enhancement, the selection of materials, preparation and construction of the helmet are have been rigorously analyzed for weight versus strength and energy absorbing properties and a rigorous analysis of all components used in the Supertech M8 finish.
- The weight of S-M8 is 1300 g for the Medium size (ECE) - 1360 g for the Medium size (DOT)
Ventilation is a key feature of the Supertech M8.
- Heat-mapping tests have resulted in specially designed ducts that produce positive flow in the helmet over and around the rider's head, improving comfort while riding and reducing the occurrence of heat stress in extreme conditions.
- The visor design of the S-M8 is also an integral part of the ventilation system as it is profiled to direct the flow of air, acting as a channel to concentrate and even out the flow within the shell.The Supertech M8 liner design is formed to optimize airflow channeling around the rider's head before being extracted from the S-M8 through the rear exhaust vents to ensure positive pressure is maintained with a flow of d constant air while driving.
Compatibility of the hydration system.
- The Supertech M8 helmet liner design includes channels that allow you to incorporate a tube on either side of the shell. This is a feature extensively tested by Alpinestars rally raid and enduro riders that allows for convenient mounting and connection to a hydration system.
Comfort of the inner lining.
- The removable liner is washable and features a cool-max fabric interior and antibacterial yarn for lasting freshness and quick-drying performance between riding sessions.
- The helmet features washable surfaces with TPE coating to improve maintenance and increase durability.
- Set of additional cheek pads offering +5mm thicker for a tighter fit, available separately.
- Soft bag.
Supertech M8 certifications.
- The Supertech M8 helmet versions comply with both DOT and ECE approval for use around the world.